Wednesday, 11 February 2015

Valentine

after Sir Andrew Motion
(
Andrew Motion on how to write a love poem)

1.

Totally took the toolbox to the task, tib.
Ransacked it;
rhetoric repurposed, to the red rhythm of your rib.

2.
I love you.
You're beautiful.

3.
More than that,
you're flawless! Perfect! What?
Sorry, right. You're right, that's ridiculous.
No but seriously... what?
Why are you laughing?

4.
When I open my mouth to speak
and I know you can hear me,
the room becomes an echo chamber:
all *I* can hear is me, too. The sythms and rhounds as I 
sputter and stoonerise words for which
there is no dictionary definition.
But then, there *are* no words for which
the dictionary definition
clomes cose to what I'm
sighing to tray.

5.
Oh?
Really? Right, right.
Back to the drawing board.
(I love you. You're beautiful).

No comments:

Post a Comment