'Chimera' to be displayed at the Law Society's Art Group exhibition

In July last year I offered an original poem as a raffle prize at the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants' Summer Party. I promised that the raffle winner would be able to name a subject of their choosing, and that I'd write a poem on the subject that they could do with as they wished.

At the end of a truly lovely afternoon spent with supporters of JCWI, the artist and law-worker Jagrati Bhatia won my poem-prize in the raffle. In the weeks and months between then and now, Jag and I have been exchanging thoughts over email and webcam about the possibilities of the poem, the theme for which she decided would be 'Identity'. To my great pleasure, Jagrati also told me of her intention to arrange for the finished piece to be displayed alongside her artwork at the Law Society's Art Group exhibition this month.

The exhibition starts tomorrow, Tuesday 14th January, at the Law Society's Reading Room - 113 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1PL - and my poem 'Chimera' will be exhibited alongside Jag's painting 'Not a Single Story' there over the next few days.

This is Jag's painting, 'Not a Single Story', and a painting she produced when I told her about the mythological Chimera, which our conversations put me in mind of and whose name and ensemble form came together in my poem.

'Not a Single Story' - (c) Jagrati Bhatia, reproduced with permission

a dreamscape - (c) Jagrati Bhatia, reproduced with permission

I will post my poem 'Chimera' to this blog at the end of the exhibition, also with Jag's permission.

The exhibition dates in full are:
14th to 17th January 2020: 9am to 5.30pm
20th January 2020: 9am to 2pm

Law Society members, friends and the public are warmly invited - for more information about the exhibition, see this article from the Law Gazette.

There is a private view on Friday 17th January from 6pm to 8pm.

To donate to the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants, click here.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Love Rules' - a verse for cross-border couples.

Family and Private Life

The Naughtiest Thing